The Alltech Young Scientist (AYS) Competition 2018 is open. The Alltech Young Scientist competition challenges graduate students to apply their scientific expertise to challenges within the business of agriculture and food. The aim is to build a community of innovative agriscientists and encourage them to pursue careers in agriculture.
The AYS competition began in 2005 as an expression of Dr. Pearse Lyons’ passion for curiosity and innovation within education. As a scientist, he understood the challenges of research and the excitement that comes with breakthroughs that could solve real problems.
Through the Alltech Young Scientist program, he hoped to create a closer connection between the classroom and the agricultural challenges occurring in the field and on the farm. Most importantly, he wanted to inspire and showcase the talents of university students who represent tomorrow’s solutions for our planet’s shared future.
The Competition and Prizes
- Students first compete within their home region. They identify four regions globally: North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific and Europe/Africa.
- The top students from each region are awarded with cash prizes and certificates.
- The 1st place winner from each region advances to the Global Competition and is referred to as an ‘AYS finalist’.
- Regional 1st Place Prize Graduate = $2000 Cash USD
- Regional 2nd Place Prize Graduate = $1000 Cash USD
The AYS finalists from all four regions are invited to attend an all-expense-paid Discovery Week in Lexington, Kentucky, USA. This trip includes mentoring sessions with Alltech scientists, the global competition and the opportunity to attend ONE: The Alltech Ideas Conference. Each finalist will present his/her paper in front of a panel of judges and the global winner will be announced on stage during the conference.
Discovery Week includes:
- Mentorship – Alltech scientists and professional experts share academic and career insights
- Presentation Coaching – The Alltech team will help finalists practice their presentations and offer valuable advice
- Global Competition – Finalists present their research in front of a panel of international judges and audience members
- ONE: The Alltech Ideas Conference – Learning and networking opportunity with over 3000 people from around the world, interaction with the press and media, and friendships and experiences to last a lifetime!
- Global Graduate 1st Place Prize: $10,000 Cash USD
Graduate students (Master and Ph.D. level)
- You must be a current graduate student in the process of completing your Master or Ph.D. degree in one of the areas of interest noted below.
- Please view the AYS Paper and Presentation Requirements before writing your research paper for the Regional Competition and preparing your presentation for the Global Competition.
- Eligible research paper topics are listed below, and a detailed explanation is noted in the AYS Areas of Interest for Research Papers.
- Animal Feeding Strategies and Modeling
- Crop Science
- Agriculture Analytical Methods
- Food Chain Safety and Traceability
- Human Health and Nutrition
Source: The Youth Argus